County Commission approves Langston as new attorney
The Morgan County Commission board appointed new legal counsel to take retired Attorney Bill Shinn’s position on Tues., Jan. 24.
The board adopted a resolution during the meeting that appointed David Langston as legal counsel for the Morgan County Commission. Chairman Ray Long said Langston had been filling in for Shinn for the last few months and has done a great job.
“His official first day was today, but has been working in the position while Mr. Shinn has been sick and things like that the last couple months,” Long said.
Langston and Shinn worked in the same firm Harris, Caddell and Shanks located in Decatur.
“I don’t have any plans for big changes, I’m just really glad and thankful for the opportunity,” Langston said. “I want to continue what we’ve been doing.”
Former legal counsel Bill Shinn retired earlier this month.
In other business the commission:
• Adopted a resolution for the acceptance of bid from the lowest responsible bidder meeting specifications for one new vehicle for Morgan County Commission, Sales Tax Department, with only one bid being received from Lynn Layton Chevrolet in the amount of $20,571.66.
• Adopted a resolution approving the recognition and appreciation of the distinguished service of Bill Shinn.
• Adopted a resolution to accept right of way for Thompson Hollow Road-located in Sections 17, 18, 19, 20, Township 8 South, Range 1 West. District 3.
• Adopted a resolution declaring the following items from District 2 as a surplus and sell on Govdeals.com: 1989 Mack Truck, 2 sets of Motor Grader Tires, Various passenger vehicle tires.
• Adopted a resolution authorizing Randy Vest, District 2 Commissioner, to purchase the following vehicle from Morgan County Environmental services: 2004 Freight Liner Truck.
• Adopted a resolution authorizing the certificates to subdivide properties: Sandra Jenkins Sowder, Peck Hollow Road, District 4.
• Adopted a resolution authorizing the refund of sales tax for the following due to an overpayment: Ascend Performance Materials, LLC- $175,123.19.
• Adopted a resolution authorizing Morgan County employee, Ann Smith, to volunteer for a 32 hour work week schedule, with full benefits, subject to the approval of the Elected Official/ Department Head/ Board.
• Adopted a resolution authorizing the chairman to execute the following contracts representing the promotion of Morgan County, which will be payable out of the Tourism, Recreation, and Convention Fund as follows: Lady Tigers Diamond Club (Hartselle High School Softball) for $140.
• Adopted a resolution approving the following disbursements for December 2016, totaling $5,567,087.99.
• Reviewed and approved the following invoices totaling $96,272.83 for Morgan County: TTL, Inc.- Professional Services- $268.50; Lee Builders Inc.- Jail addition- $95,919.33.; National Association of Public Information Officers- S. Marsh, membership dues- $85.
• Adopted a resolution authorizing the appropriate elected official/ department head to fill the following positions: Equipment Operator II, Grade 6 ($15.12-$19.73)- District 1.
• Adopted a resolution appointing Greg Bodley as the Morgan County Road and Bridge Safety Director.