County Commission adopts revised drug/alcohol policy
A revised Drug and Alcohol Abuse Policy was approved by the Morgan County Commission at its regular meeting Tuesday.
The new policy’s provisions are contained in a 24-page document and will become effective Oct. 1, 2012.
“There’s not a lot of change between the old policy and the new one,” said Commission Chairman Ray Long. The Association of Alabama Commissions came up with this version and is encouraging its members to implement it as a standard for the state.”
The policy requires that all employees or any person performing any kind of work for the county must report to work completely free from alcohol, illegal or unauthorized drugs, or any other substances that may have a mind-altering or intoxicating effect or otherwise impair the employee’s judgment, reaction times or functioning.
It also prohibits all employees from using, possessing, manufacturing, distributing or making arrangements to distribute alcohol or unauthorized drugs, or any other intoxicating substances while at work or on or about any county property.
The policy provides for the random testing of employees performing safety-sensitive jobs through the year and lists levels of punishment for those found to be in violation.
Chief Administrative Officer Belinda Ealey is designated as the drug program coordinator.
In another matter, commissioners authorized the chairman to execute an agreement with the State Department of Transportation for a roadway sign replacement project. Federal funds in the amount of $36,924.62 are being provided while the county’s match is $4,102.74.
County Engineer Greg Bodley said the money would be used to purchase new traffic signs. They will replace old signs on roads in all four districts, with shop employees doing the work.
He said the signs have to be ordered and it will be about a month before the project can begin.
The commission acted on other matters as follows:
• Accepted bids for the low bidder meeting specifications as determined by the county engineer as follows: Corrugated metal pipe, Contech Construction Products; liquid asphalt, Vulcan Asphalt; cold mix-plant site, Wiregrass Construction Co-Dist. 1; Good Hope Contracting – Dists. 2, 3 and 4; bituminous surface treatments, Charles E. Watts Inc.
• Proclaimed the week of Sept. 25, 2012, as Minority Enterprise Development Week in Morgan County
• Proclaimed the month of November as Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Month in Morgan County.
• Approved the Flexible Benefits Plan to begin on Oct. 1 of each fiscal year and authorized the chairman to execute the plan and summary plan description.
• Authorized the chairman to execute an agreement with the Department of Examin-ers of Public Accounts for an audit of the federal assistance for fiscal 2010-2012, cost not to exceed $11,868.
• Authorized Debra Gardner, director of the Commission on Aging, to fill the vacant position of Outreach Coordinator, Grade 2, $9.68-$12.62.
• Approved the following certificates to subdivide properties: Betty C. and Freddie Don Lawrence, Church Road, Dist. 2; Modie Wayne Smith and Debra Lenox Smith, Antioch Rd. and Union Rd., Dist 4; and Janice Lavern Lorance, Black Rd., Dist. 2.
• Approved Taylor Circle Estates as a subdivision at Taylor Circle and Apple Grove Rd. in Dist 4.
• Amended Section 2.30 in the Personnel Policy Manual, changing the definition of “work week” by adding Section 2.32, which defines the term “work schedule.”
• Adopted the Morgan County Motor Vehicle Operations Policy as reflected in a 10-page document.
• Approved checks totaling $5,972,791.61 for the month of July, 2012.
• Approved budget amendments on nine line items totaling $507,705 in the 2011-2012 budget.
• Reappointed Dist. 3 Commissioner Don Stisher to the Alabama Mountain Lakes Board, effective Sept. 30, 2012, through Sept. 30, 2014.
• Authorized the chairman to remove 18 obsolete, surplus, condemned and scrap items from the fixed inventory listing.
• Approved payment of $7,573.50 to Harris, Caddell & Shanks PC for legal services performed during the month of August.
• Approved payment of $429,776.29 to Meadowbrook Insurance Group for the Workers Compensation premium for the period 10-01-2012 to 10-01-2013, payable out of county funds.
• Approved payment of $1,367.37 to Trident Insurance for legal services regarding the claims fled against the county by Glenda Lockhart ($1,237.87) and Doug Key ($129.50).
• Approved payment of $23,100 to Godwin, Barnett, Woods Architects for architectural fees for the design of the new jail annex, payable out of the Capital Improvement Fund.
• Approved payment of $330,672 to S.S. Nesbitt Co. (Travelers Insurance) for commercial insurance package renewal, effective Oct. 1, 2012, through Oct. 1, 2013.
• Approved payment of $9,374 to the Association of County Commissions of Alabama for the annual membership renewal for the commission, effective Oct. 1, 2012, through Sept. 30, 2013.
• Approved payment of a claim presented by Shirley Clack Campbell in the amount of $1,395.59 for excess proceeds from the Revenue Commission-er’s tax sale, payable out of the General Fund.
• Authorized Dist. 3 Commissioner Stisher to bid on a tar distributor at a Department of Transportation surplus auction on Oct. 6, 2012.
• Authorized the chairman to execute a grant agreement relating to funds to be distributed to Morgan County for the use of the SOS Program in the reimbursement of Medicaid costs.