Hartselle abates taxes for Cerrowire project
92 additional jobs coming to Hartselle
Hartselle City Council awarded a tax abatement totaling $50,250 for sales and use tax and $48,441 (10-year total), for non-educational property tax at a regular meeting Nov.24.
The abatement was made on a proposed $6.7 million capital investment in manufacturing equipment with an estimated completion date of March 31, 2023.
“This is a great economic impact project for Hartselle,” said Jeremy Nails, CEO and president of North Alabama Industrial Development Association. “It will create 92 additional jobs with an estimated additional annual payroll of $5.095, 920.”
Cerrowire is a copper wire manufacturing company, supplying building wire and cable throughout North America for commercial, industrial and residential use. It employs 124 hourly and 29 salaried employees in Hartselle with an estimated annual payroll of $9.3 million.
New property tax created is estimated at $194,733. Of that amount, Hartselle City Schools would receive 11.3 mills or $109,476.66, Morgan County 5.8 mills or $56.191.66 and Alabama 3.0 mills or $29,064.60.
The Council acted on other matters as follows:
- Rezoned two parcels of 2.2 and 2.0 acres from a 33-acre tract from AG-1 (agricultural) to R-1(residential)
- Authorized the Mayor to sign a $640,000 TAP GrantAgreement with the State of Alabama,with a $160,000 local match, for a sidewalk project in the downtown area
- Accepted a bid forthe Fire & Rescue Department to purchase three heart monitors for $50,200
- Approved a budget adjustment to bring the total appropriationofFY2020 alcohol tax revenue to $46,320.00 to Hartselle City Schools for Capital Improvement Projects
- Adopted Safe Workplace Guidelinesfor a discount in insurancerates from the Municipal Workers Compensation Fund
- Approved a revised job description for theSportsMaintenance Supervisor in the Park & Recreation Department
- Approved a budgettransferrequest from the Police Department
- Approved two budget adjustment requests from the William Bradford Huie Library of Hartselle
- Authorized Fire and Rescue to donate a 1987 model fire engine to the Ebenezer Volunteer Fire Department.
- Appointed Councilman Chuck Gill as a member of the Hartselle Planning Commission
- Appointed Charles Hall as a member of the Airport Board
- Appointed Christine Wright as a member of the Personnel Board
- Changed the date and time of the Dec. 22 meeting of the Council to Dec. 15 at 9 a.m.