His eye is on the sparrow
By Todd Barrier
Last week the state department of education canceled school for the rest of the year because of the coronavirus.
Many students, parents and teachers are disappointed. Seniors in high school are especially saddened by missing out on so many memories.
Soon after the announcement, I saw the lyrics to “His Eye is on the Sparrow” posted on Facebook. The lyrics made me think of the comfort God gives us during this time.
The particular part of the song I was inspired by is where we sing, “I sing because I’m happy.” We can be happy even during difficult times!
Here are five things I think we can get out of this song – and out of our experiences the past few weeks:
- In times like these we really understand what Jesus meant when he said store up heavenly treasures (Matthew 6:19-21).
- Jesus is our constant (Hebrews 13:8).
- We can find happiness in Him in any situation (John 16:33, James 1:23).
- In Christ we are free from the things that hold us back from true joy (Psalm 34:19).
- He is here for me (Deut. 31:6).