• 91°
Hartselle Enquirer

Danville News

HISTORY OF UPTON’S CHAPEL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH

I want to share a article from the book, The Heritage of Morgan County, Alabama, published by the Morgan County Genealogy Society, and submitted by Adell Terrell, with our Hartselle Enquirer Readers. “Upton’s Chapel United Methodist Church, 1919-1992.”

The people of Liberty Community had a vision. They realized the need for a place closer to home to worship God. This is vividly remembered and shared, at this writing, by a Charter Member of Upton’s Chapel Church, Miss Nettie (Tug) White.

Upton’s Chapel United Methodist Church had its beginning at a revival, conducted by the Rev. Elijah Upton, in the year of 1919. This revival was held in a brush arbor, which was built adjacent to the Old Liberty Schoolhouse, located near the Monroe Christian home place on Kirby Bridge Road. One of the schoolteachers at Old Liberty School was Mr. Edmond Thickstun, who was a great inspiration in the organization of Upton’s Chapel Church. He was also a lay preacher.

In the early years of 1920 , land was donated by the Luther Glassgow family, to build a new Liberty Schoolhouse and a Church, which would later be named Upton’s Chapel, after the Rev. Elijah Upton. This land was located approximately a mile west of the Old Liberty School, on what is now Liberty Road.

The new schoolhouse was completed first, and here regular church services were held until the church building could be completed. In that day, with so few tools to work with, they had some excellent woodcrafters. Brother Edmond Thickstun built the Altar rail and five beautiful pieces of Pulpit furniture, still being used in our Church today. He moved here from the North and lived near the old Tom Holt home place, South East of the present church building. A close friend from his Northern home, donated $29.00, with which he bought the bib Bible that remains in our Church today. All these things were ready to be placed in the beautiful, one room, white church building, complete with a steeple in time for a revival in August of the year 1925. This revival was conducted by the Rev. Elijah Upton. At that time, Upton’s Chapel Church was placed on a charge by the Methodist Conference , with Brother Upton being its first Pastor. This chapel was used for worship until a new Church was built and dedicated in 1992.

Special congratulations go out this week to the following Danville-Neel School students who attended the Morgan County 4H Round-Up in March recently . Ellie Tucker won 1st place in the Blocks Rocks Project, Klaire Rooks won 2nd place in the Interior Design Project and won 2nd place in the $15 Challenge Project and Gideon Gabayan won 2nd Place in the Bird House Challenge.

Team Kid meets every Sunday, from 5:30 to 7:00 at Danville-Neel School. Team Kid is for ages Preschool through the sixth grades. Everyone is welcome to participate.

 

x