HISTORY OF NEEL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
I want to share with our Hartselle Enquirer Readers this week an article taken from the Morgan County Genealogy Society published book, “The Heritage of Morgan County Alabama” the article was submitted by Polly James of Iron Man Road in Hartselle. Neel Methodist Church was organized in 1890. The first church building was located in a field mid-way on the east side of the road that connects Iron Man Rd. and Danville Rd., on what is now known as Singleton Road. After a few years the people decided to move the church to the center of the community and construction of a new building began in 1911 on land acquired from Mr. James Roberts. Money was scarce for people in this farming community, so it took two to three years to complete. The building consisted of one large room, the Sanctuary. The Methodist churches were served by the circuit-riding preachers in these early years, traveling between the churches on horseback or in a buggy. For this reason preaching services were usually once or twice a month, sometimes this service was on a Sunday afternoon. Big meeting (Revival) time was usually in August, between cotton hoeing and cotton picking time. Big meeting time was looked forward to for many reasons including, good fiery preaching, good singing and seeing all your friends and neighbors. People from other churches in surrounding communities supported each other during meeting time. In 1954, the 1911 building was torn down and work started on the present building. This construction was completed in 1955. Various additions and updating of this facility has been done throughout the years, and a project to enlarge the fellowship hall, add additional classrooms and rest rooms has recently been completed. The congregation celebrated its Centennial in November 1990 by inviting all members and pastors past and present, as well as friends and family. The program included a time of reminiscing about the people, the church’s work in the community, and its influence on the lives of the people it has served. Names of original families of this church include: Mr. and Mrs. W.W. Aldridge, Mr. and Mrs. A.J. Maddox, Martha Maddox, Mr. and Mrs. Tim Holt, Mr. and Mrs. E.J. Puckett, Mr. and Mrs. Elvie Roberts, Mr. and Mrs. A.C. Rackley, Mr. and Mrs. R.C.(Bob) Puckett, Mrs. Sarah McAbee, Mrs. Maude Wallace, Mrs. Matt Roberts, Mr. and Mrs. Johnny Roberts and Mr. and Mrs. George Roberts.
Special belated happy birthday wishes go out this week for Jasmin Baker-Jan. 25, Jimmie Lake-Jan. 26, Euel Roberts-Jan. 27, Mason Yaudes-Jan. 27, Delores Poole-Jan. 29, Julie Campbell-Jan. 29 and Hannah Burch-Jan. 31.