• 50°

Garage fire damages stored items

Hartselle’s “A” shift firefighters battle a fire in a garage at 634 Lee St. Thursday afternoon. | Clif Knight

A fire in a double bay detached garage at 634 Lee St. SW in Hartselle Thursday afternoon caused damage estimated at $5,000 to its contents, according to Lisa Doorlag who rents the property.

Hartselle firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze before it got out of hand and prevented loss of the building. Most of the damage to furniture, home furnishings and clothing inside resulted from water and smoke.

Hartselle Fire Department’s “A” shift responded to scene with one engine company at approximately 4 p.m. after a friend of Doorlag’s walked outside of the house, noticed smoke coming from the building and called 911.

x