Veteran’s Day true or false quiz
Nov. 11 commemorates our country’s veterans, those people who willingly gave us their lives or a portion of their lives so we could choose how we wish to live. So in honor to our veterans here’s a little Veterans Day trivia.
1. Veterans Day was originally named Armistice Day. True or False
2. Veterans Day honors veterans living or dead. True or False
3. World War II came to an end on the 11th hour of the 11 day of the 11 month of 1918. True or False
4. Remembrance Day is another name for Veterans Day. True or False
5. President Kennedy signed a bill into law making November 11 Veterans Day. True or False
6. Currently, the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier has the soldiers from World War I and II and the Korean War. True or False
7. Guards take 21 steps in their walk across the tomb, alluding to the 21 gun salute. True or False.
8. The only time since 1937 the tomb has been unguarded was during a hurricane. True or False
9. Sentinels are only male. True or False
10. Sentinels are changed every 30 minutes. True or False
1, 2, and 3. True, True, and no, False. Veterans Day was originally called Armistice Day in honor of the signing of the treaty ending World War I, not World War II.
4. False, it is the special day set aside in Britain to honor those who were killed in armed conflict.
5. False, it was President Eisenhower who made it a law.
6. True. Until 1998 there was also a soldier from the Vietnam War, too.
8. False. It was guarded then, too, by the guards’ choice!
9. False. There have been 3 female sentinels and 1 female platoon leader.
10. Sorry trick question it is both true and false. During the summer the sentinels are changed every 30 minutes, during the winter they are changed every hour. When the cemetery is closed they are changed every two hours.