Commission approves police package SUVs
Sheriff’s deputies will soon be using police package SUVs instead of full-size passenger cars to patrol the roads of Morgan County.
Such a move was sanctioned by the Morgan County Commission when it approved a request from Sheriff Greg Bartlett to advertise for bids or purchase off the state bid list 10 police package SUVs. Also authorized was a request to release five used seized and/or sheriff’s discretionary purchased vehicles as a trade-in on the new SUVs. Funding of the new vehicles will come from the sheriff’s discretionary fund.
“The SUV is becoming a popular replacement for the traditional full-size patrol car,” Capt. Howard Battles said. “I’ve driven one and it has features that are helpful to law enforcement. They’re roomier and safer and almost as economical to operate as the full-size sedans we’re currently using.”
The commission acted on other matters as follows:
• Authorized the chairman to execute an agreement between CoBridge Telecom LLC and Morgan County Commission for a nonexclusive cable system franchise to construct, operate and maintain a cable system in Morgan County.
• Authorized the chairman to execute a renewal landfill agreement between the county and City of Decatur. The landfill shall be maintained and operated at its present site under the name of Decatur-Morgan County Regional MSW Landfill for a period of 25 years.
The city will continue to charge $35,000 per month for administrative purposes.
• Authorized the chairman to execute a renewal lease agreement with Gateway Commercial Brokerage for office space at Crestwood Shopping Center in Hartselle for the Morgan County Commissioner of Licenses and Morgan County Commissioner of Revenue. The terms were for $655 per month, effective Nov. 1, 2009, through Oct. 31, 2011.
• Authorized a payment of $12,676 to CIT Small Business Lending Corporation for an excess payment received by the Morgan County tax sale May 2, 2006.
• Authorized the chairman to execute a contract with N.A.R.C.O.G. for the 2011 SenioRx Wellness Contract in the amount of $10,000, effective Oct. 1 through Sept. 30, 2011.
• Approved payment of $1,000 to the Alabama Charity Championship Horse Show as a donation payable out of the Tourism, Recreation and Convention Fund.
• Approved certificates to subdivide and/or consolidate properties for Equity Trust Co. on Buster Owens Road and Sandra and Joel Sowder on Jenkins Road, both in District 4.
• Authorized the chairman to execute the Health Services Agreement with Southern Health Partners for inmates’ medical coverage, effective Oct. 1 through Sept. 20, 2011.
• Approved the donation of two used vehicles by the Morgan County Sheriff’s Department to the North Alabama Boys Ranch at Punkin Center.
• Authorized the sheriff’s department to sell three seized vehicles on govdeals.com.
• Reappointed Keith Forrest and Pam Werstler to the Morgan County Sheriff’s Department Board of Appeals for four-years and two-year s terms, respectively.
• Authorized the chairman to re-execute a contract with the Center for Governmental Services at Auburn University in the amount of $23,500 for a review and update of job descriptions, classification and pay plan for county employees, payable out of District 2 funds.
• Authorized the chairman to execute the 2011 Title III Aging Contract with N.A.R.C.O.G., effective Oct. 1 through Sept. 30, 2011.
• Approved payment of $4,000 to N.A.R.C.O.G. to fund the Senior Community Service Employment Program.