From knitting to manners, community classes have something for everyone
Calhoun Community College has an array of classes in the upcoming months. Classes include:
• Halloween Pumpkin Cookies ($49 plus supplies.) Now is your chance to learn the skills to make festive, decorated cookies for Halloween. In session one, a Wilton Method instructor will provide step-by-step instructions on rolling and cutting your cookie dough. You will also learn glazing and icing techniques. In session two, you will learn techniques to use for decorating your cookies. You will also be instructed how to assemble the cookies for a “spooktacular” Halloween treat. Call 306-2514 for supply list. Class will be at Decatur Campus Center for Building and Industry Training Room 102 on Oct. 4 and 11 from 10 a.m.-noon.
• Caricature and cartooning ($69). Every artist has had hidden desires to produce those funny, snide, wicked little creations called caricatures. This class explores the process of face construction, seeking out little (and big) aspects of faces that make them unique and then putting it all together to create an explosion of fun that will have your friends and family running for cover when they see you pick up a pencil! This class is guaranteed to loosen up the most inhibited of artists, beginner or professional. Call 256-306-2514 for supply list. Class will be at Decatur Campus Center for Building and Industry Training Room 102 Mondays, Oct. 4-18 from 6-8 p.m.
• Basic electricity ($89). Are you in the dark about electricity? Electricity is an important source of energy that affects many aspects of your life. Without
electricity, many devices that have transformed daily life over the course of this century would not be possible.
This class will provide you with instruction in basic household electricity and safety. It also provides plenty of hands-on training in replacing three-way switches, wiring new lights and switches, installing ground fault circuit interrupters, light dimmers, ceiling fans, fan speed controls, smoke detectors, and outdoor lighting. Class will be at Calhoun, Decatur Campus-Center for Business and Industry Training, Room 106 Tuesdays and Thursdays Oct. 5-19 from 5-9 p.m.
• Intermediate Digital Photography ($69). This Digital Photography class is taught for those who want to do more than “point and shoot”. Topics include the operation of a digital camera with how to use the manual settings (aperture, shutter speed, ISO, autofocus, exposure compensation, etc.), capturing the best image, importing images into the computer, editing the image, sharing the image, and organizing and storing images as well as basic photography and lighting principles and techniques will be covered. Class Requirements: SLR camera or a “Point and Shoot” camera with manual settings, and bring your own SLR digital camera and instruction book. Prerequisite: Introduction to the Computer and the Internet course is recommended. Class will be at Calhoun, Decatur Campus-Center for Business and Industry Training, Room 101. Classes will be Thursdays Oct. 7-21 from 6-8 p.m.
• Introduction to the Computer and the Internet ($49). This beginning course provides instruction using the computer and the internet.
It will include common menus, toolbars, file management, saving, printing, and copying files, as well as setting up an email account and learning to navigate the internet using Explorer. Class will be at Calhoun, Decatur Campus-Center for Business and Industry Training, Room 101, Monday and Wednesday Oct. 18 and Oct. 20 5:30-8:30 p.m.
• Basics of Buying on e-Bay (Free but preregistration is required.) Have a professional teach you the right way to buy on eBay. Training delivered by an Education Specialist who uses the most up-to-date training – the same ones used by eBay University. Class is at Calhoun, Decatur Campus-Center for Business and Industry Training, Room 101. Class will be Oct. 19 from 6-7 p.m.
• Manners are Magic for Children ($10.) Need a little brushing up on your manners? Want your child to learn how to behave properly in social situations? Then this course is for you! Children ages 8 and up will learn about the History of Etiquette, First Impressions, Handshakes, Introductions, Boy/Girl Etiquette, Telephone Manners and much more! Each child will be given a place setting and taught the correct way to cut with a knife and fork. A snack will be served so each child can practice with a “hostess” at a “party”. The class is taught by Robin Jennings, a former elementary school teacher. She created the lesson plan and designed a handout that will be given out at the conclusion of the class. Class will be at Calhoun, Decatur Campus-Center for Business and Industry Training, Room 102. Class is Oct. 19 from 5:30-7 p.m.
• Guitar for the adult beginner ($85 plus $12 material fee). Dust off those guitars and let’s make some music. We will start from scratch and learn some basic chords and strums that will allow us to play some of our favorite songs. You will go home strumming a well known tune the first lesson. We will also be learning some new ways of reading and playing music which is quick and easy.
No musical experience is necessary, just a willing spirit to have a great time. Guitar class is always a good time. The class is designed for ages 13 and older. All participants must furnish their own instrument or contact the continuing education office for reservation of a rental instrument. Rental instruments for the duration of the workshop are $30 and may be used towards the purchase of the instrument. Total cost of guitar/bag, $100. Class will be at Calhoun, Decatur Campus-Center for Business and Industry Training, Room 102. Classes will be Oct. 22 from 6:30-8:30 p.m. and Oct. 23 from 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
• Beginning knitting ($69). The student will learn basic knitting stitches in this beginner class.
Using knit and pearl stitches, the student will complete a scarf. Call 256-306-2514 for supply list. Class will be at Decatur High School library Mondays Oct. 25-Dec. 6 from 5:30-7:30 p.m. No class on Nov. 22.
• Beginning Yoga ($79). This is a beginner yoga class where you will learn to create balance in your body by developing flexibility and strength. You will learn physical postures (asanas) each of which offer specific health benefits. As you become more comfortable with the postures, we may include some vinyasa style yoga, where poses are done in a flowing succession to build internal heat and stamina. Modifications are always offered to those who have physical limitations. Class will close with a time for relaxation where you learn to calm the mind and release the tension we hold in our bodies. Bring a traditional yoga mat. (Two mats may be stacked for additional comfort). Class will be taught at Decatur High School Auditorium Foyer inside main office Oct. 25-Dec. 6 from 6-7:30 p.m. No class Nov. 22.
• Microsoft Office Excel 2007 ($79). This is an introduction to spreadsheet management using Microsoft Excel.
This course provides instruction in creating and modifying a workbook, finding and replacing data in a workbook, organizing data within a workbook, creating formulas to calculate values, finding and correcting errors in calculations, formatting a cell and adding images to a workbook. Class will be at Calhoun, Decatur Campus-Center for Business and Industry Training, Room 101. Classes will be Tuesdays and Thursdays Oct. 26-Nov. 4 from 5:30-7:30 p.m.
Registration is easy and can be done:
• Online – visit our website at www.calhoun.edu/bis/communityed
• Mail – complete the registration form and return with your payment to: Calhoun Community College, Community Education, P.O. Box 2216, Decatur, AL 35609-2216
• Phone – call 306-2514
Pre-registration is required for all courses