County chips in $50,000 to help arena
The Morgan County Commission agreed to a one-time appropriation of up to $50,000 to help Celebration Arena at Priceville purchase equipment it needs but stopped short of agreeing to budget any additional funds in fiscal 2010-11
The move was made at a regular meeting on July 27 on a recommendation from District 2 Commissioner Ken Livingston
In an earlier work session, Paul Guire, chairman of the Morgan County Parks and Recreation Board, requested the governing body’s assistance in the form of a budget line item and in-kind services.
”We are in dire need for money to buy the equipment we need to keep the grounds well maintained and suitable for the various events we are bringing in,” he said. “We have been encouraged to seek donations from private business and industry but have found that to be very difficult due to the economy; however, we have been offered price discounts.
Livingston said the money his district is giving up is coming from the sale of surplus equipment to District 4 and will be used to buy a tractor (grader), grounds grooming machine and rotary mower.
“What kind of in-kind services are you talking about,” asked District 1 Commissioner Jeff Clark.
“”A load of gravel or the repair of a piece of broken equipment,” Guire answered.
“At the time the property was purchased, we agreed to help you out with in-kind services” District 4 Commissioner Greg Abercrombie added.
“We can help you from time to time but I don’t think we can give you a blank check,” District 3 Commissioner Don Stisher said. “I know the challenge you are facing is a difficult one, but I think it’s one that can be met. You need to figure out what you need and let us know.”
Guire said he would communicate with other board members to come up with a work plan and share it with the commission.
“I realize that you already have done a lot to help us. We appreciate that and I can ensure you that any help we receive will be used wisely and in a timely manner.”
The commission acted on other matters as follows:
• Approved certificates to subdivide and/or consolidate for Charles Ernest Brown, Upper River Road, District 4 and Douglas and Betty Lucas, North Robinson Road, District 2.
• Authorized District 2 Commissioner Ken Livingston to donate $4,500 to Somerville Area Volunteers Emergency Services to help defray the cost of new radio communications systems.
• Authorized the chairman to advertise for bids to furnish Data Storage and Server Virtualization solution for the Sheriff’s Office to replace the RMS/JMS Record System Servers, not to exceed $50,000.
• Re-appointed Charles W. Adams and appointed Forrest Keith and Pam Wersler to the Morgan County Personnel Board, effective July 27, 2010, through July 27, 2013.
• Approved payment of $6,171 to Harris, Caddell & Shanks P.C. for legal services provided during the month of June.
• Approved payments from the Tourism, Recreation & Convention Fund as follows: Priceville Cruise-in Car Show, $500; Hartselle Parks and Recreation, $500; and Brewer Booster Club, $200