A look back
Researched by Dr. Bill Stewart
Aug. 17, 1956 —The biggest surprise in Hartselle municipal election history came today with the filing of Mrs. H. M. Betterton as a candidate for mayor against John Burleson, present mayor, and Troy L. Nunn, mayor pro tem.
Aug. 18, 1956 —Dr. David Chandler has now moved his family to Hartselle. The Chandlers are occupying the Sharpley home place at 604 Barkley Street, and Dr. Chandler is a partner-associate of Dr. W. H. Block in the new Block-Chandler Hospital.
Aug. 19, 1956 —Dr. and Mrs. W. C. Duncan entertained this afternoon with a picnic at their summer home near Wheeler Park.
Aug. 20, 1956 —A number of the young crowd were awakened at 4:30 this morning by Ted Williams and Hal Butler with the cry, “Come as you are to breakfast!” The early meal, consumed in the home of Judy Newman, included guests Sarah Ann Thompson, Gene Brindley Horton, Rhona Howell, Ann Blizzard, Ann Hoffhaus, John Howell, Joe and Ike Groover, Billy Sims, and Billy Evans.
Aug. 21, 1957 —A school of instruction for local PTA activists was held at MCHS today. Hartselle’s talented Cain Brothers provided entertainment for the meeting.
Aug. 22, 1956 —Mrs. J. E. Stone and Betty Sanders left this morning for the Baptist retreat at Ridgecrest, N.C., where they will spend a week.
Aug. 22, 1956 —A relay “microwave” tower, one component of a $2.5 million Southern Bell radio relay communication network, will be located in Falkville.
Aug. 23, 1956 —Tech. Sgt. Hershel F. Speake of Del Rio, Tex. is spending a furlough here with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Fred M. Speake and other relatives.
Aug. 23, 1956 —Last night was even chillier than the previous evening.
Tonight the thermometer registered a low 52—very unusual for late August.
Aug. 23, 1956 —The film version of Hartselle author William Bradford Huie’s “The Revolt of Mamie Stover” began a two-day run at the Ranch Drive-in Theatre tonight. The movie stars Jane Russell in the title role.
Aug. 23, 1956 —For the first time in almost three months operations were resumed today at the Hickory Street garment factory building. The new owner is the Julius Kayser Company.