Heroes make life better for all
We are proud Hartselle is such a caring community. Last year, so many of our friends and neighbors gave generous financial contributions to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund to help thousands of people affected by Hurricanes Katrina, Rita and Wilma.
Funds donated recently for hurricane relief were used for hurricane relief. None of those funds were used to help provide ongoing local services. While our local Red Cross chapter was very busy helping hurricane evacuees who stopped in our community, the chapter was also continuing the daily business of providing, in addition to other services, some much needed help to local residents displaced because their homes burned.
We are grateful for generous donations to our United Way which funds 43 percent of local Red Cross services. The remaining 57 percent must be raised locally.
As Team Leaders of the 2006 Heroes for the American Red Cross Fundraising Campaign, we ask for the Hartselle community to come together once again. With a Morgan-Lawrence County goal of $50,000, we need everyone’s support to help fund ongoing local Red Cross services. Our brief campaign will only run during the month of April and the funds raised will remain local.
Please support our local Heroes volunteers when they call or contact the Red Cross office at 353-4891 to make a contribution.
Once again, we are asking for your generous support. When you help our American Red Cross, you help our community.
Bettye S. English
Tom M. Guyton
It’s time to protect our borders
If Attila the Hun and his hordes invaded the U.S. would we freely open our borders to them, change our laws, customs and language to fit them and afford them all the freedom, rights and privileges afforded legal citizens? Or would we repel them at the borders, destroying them at that location, capturing and imprisoning those having already achieved illegal entry and, if necessary, attacking the problem at its source to prevent a continuance of the problem?
This is like muggers taking your wallet, returning half its contents and declaring it even, with no penalty. After all, it’s only fair and equitable, you have plenty and they don’t. And to correct the situation, you must respect their “rights” as intruders and share all you have while they and their holier-than-thou legal and illegal supporters recite Christian principles, enumerate the unbearable hardships of the intruders and act dumb, dismayed and disappointed when you don’t do likewise, in their language.
James L. Nix