A look back
Researched by Dr. Bill Stewart
Jan. 19, 1956 -Hartselle Hospital now has a capacity of 26 beds, as compared with 15 beds prior to the opening of the new wing last week.
Jan. 20, 1956 -Morgan County Representatives Bob Gilchrist and Albert Brewer discussed the badly needed Vaughn Bridge improvement project with State Highway Director Herman Nelson today. The state is asking the county to pay half of the cost if federal funds aren't available and county officials say they can't do this.
Jan. 20, 1956 -Homer Cox has purchased the Troy L. Nunn jewelry shop. Mr. Cox was formerly an employee of Mr. Nunn.
Jan. 21, 1956 -A new business, Bailey's Junk Yard, has just opened on Highway 33, west of the 31 intersection. The enterprise will specialize in used auto parts and scrap iron.
Jan. 21, 1956 -Charles Pigg and Dr. Fred Sherrill, Jr., have bought Garrison's Cleaners of Decatur. Mr. Pigg will move to Decatur in the near future to manage the enterprise.
Jan. 22, 1956 -The Morgan County Board of Registrars is currently at the half-way point of a ten-day session in which they are both adding new voters and eliminating from the rolls those who are no longer eligible to cast ballots.
Jan. 23, 1956 -Maj. Gen. John B. Medaris arrived at Huntsville's Redstone Arsenal today to assume command of the newly established Army Ballistic Missile Agency. For many Hartselle residents who commute daily to Redstone, General Medaris will be their "big boss."
Jan. 24, 1956 -Betty Jane Norwood has begun teaching junior high history and English at MCHS.
Jan. 25, 1956 -Remodeling work is currently under way in the former D. W. McNeill building located at the intersection of Sparkman and Main. The new tenant at this location will be the Hartselle Pharmacy, co-owned by T. B. Strickland, Sr., and Jr.