Tour of Homes
Decatur Women's Chamber hosts event
Four private homes built during a 200 year span will open April 25 for the 2004 edition of the Decatur Women's Chamber of Commerce Spring Pilgrimage of Homes.
The tour takes place 1-4 p.m. and begins at the Old State Bank in historic downtown Decatur.
The Old State Bank is the tour's first stop, with chamber members on hand to offer lemonade and cookies. The bank was built in 1832 using slave labor.
The second stop will be the First Presbyterian Church at 701 Oak Street N.W.
The current structure was built 50 years ago, but the church itself has been part of the Morgan County since 1854.
Third stop is the antebellum Burleson-Hinds-McEntire House, 1105 Sycamore Street NW, belonging to Berval and Sandi Bennett, was used as headquarters and a hospital for both the Union and Confederate armies.
Also on the tour is the modern home of Dr. Cara Hoffman and her husband, Kevin Boyles, at 47098 Loblolly Drive in the Burningtree Valley subdivision and Brent Irvin's Victorian-style home at 3802 Chula Vista Drive.
The last stop will be the new home of Rev. and Mrs. George Sawyer at 2307 McNair St. SW.
Tickets are $10 in advance and $15 the day of the tour and include bus transportation to all sites.
Tickets are available at Sam Frank and Moore, Jimmy Smith Jewelers, Parisians of Decatur and the Decatur-Morgan County Convention and Visitors Bureau. Profits from the event go to the Committee on Church Cooperation and HANDS (Helping Adolescents in Need of Supervision) Home.