• 91°
Hartselle Enquirer

Absentee ballots for wet/dry vote now at city hall

By Staff
Leada DeVaney, Hartselle Enquirer
Voters wanting to cast an absentee ballot in Hartselle's wet-dry referendum must get their absentee ballot from the city clerk's office, according to City Clerk Rita Lee.
Absentee ballots are now available at the city clerk's office. Voters are eligible to cast their ballot absentee if they are out of the county, are sick or handicapped or cannot go to the polls.
Lee said applicants seeking an absentee ballot can apply at the city clerks office in person or by mail. Applications will be available until Oct. 31 at 4:30 p.m.
According to Lee, the request for an absentee ballot will only be accepted for from the voter in person or via mail. The absentee ballot may not be delivered by a friend or relative. The completed ballot must also be turned in by the person casting the ballot or by mail.
Once you receive an application by mail, voters must mark their ballot with the pencil provided. The ballot should then be folded and placed inside the inner envelope, which should then be sealed. The affidavit on the outside of the return mail envelope must be filled out and it must be signed by a notary public or two adult witnesses. The completed ballot should be returned to the city clerk's office in person or mailed so that it will be received by Nov. 5.
Once you request an absentee ballot, you may not vote at the polls for that election.
Oct. 25 is the last day to register to vote for the Nov. 5 election. Hartselle voters will be deciding on whether to allow alcohol in the city, as well as deciding on statewide races such as governor, lieutenant governor, U.S. Senator and state treasurer.
Those wanting to receive an absentee ballot should contact Lee at 773-2535 or send their request to City Clerk, 200 Sparkman Street NW, Harselle, 35640.